blog

Follow our progress as beekeepers, running the nursery, creating our own bee-haven and conducting research into the best plants for bees

Landscaping progress at Rosybee

So much for a nice relaxing long weekend!  Over Easter, we have had the digger back on site and to make sure we got value for our rental money we attacked a list of jobs. Chief amongst these was re-opening the 200m of service trench ready for the electricity cables.  (My job was the less glamorous barrowing of sand to line the trench - 2 tonnes so far). However our friend Mike make such good progress with the trench that he also had time to sort out the pond. We had started digging it out months ago but now has been shaped the way we want and all the spoil is nicely mounded up on one side.  The reason for having a pond on site is to ensure there is always a water supply for the bees......and we just fancied having one!  The rainwater tank and sump will overflow into the pond when required so it should have some water even in a very dry summer.

In this picture you can see how it looks full of water. This is temporary as its not got a liner in yet.  Our soil has a lot of clay so we will monitor how long the water level takes to go down and then work out the next stages of lining and planting round it.